There are currently around 1600 people in Australia waiting to receive a potentially life saving organ transplant. While 80% percent of Australians say would be willing to be an organ donor, Australia still has one of the lowest rates of donation in the world. One donor can transform the lives of up to ten people yet hundreds of people still die each year while waiting to receive a transplant
So why does this gaping discrepancy exist between our organ donation wishes and the actual rate of donation?
While gossip culture obsessively dissects the details of celebrity deaths, Australians are reluctant to have conversations about our own mortality and less than a third of us will ever talk about our end of life wishes with the ones that will ultimately make the donation decision for us – our families.
Considering that less that 2 percent of deaths occur in the circumstances where organ donation is even possible, it is even more important to ensure that our wishes are known.
This year DonateLife Week (24 February – 3 March) is encouraging Australians to ‘Make your wish count – discover, decide, discuss organ and tissue donation’.
- FilmLife & Vibewire are hosting a Twitter Chat to talk about organ donation on the 27th of February at 7:30. Discuss how organ donation can change lives, find out how to register and how to have the chat with your family. Follow the hashtag #havethechat on the 27th of February at 7:30. (Read about how to participate in a Twitter chat here.)
- Participate in FilmLife film festival to promote conversation about organ and tissue donation. Prizes include: Best Film - Canon 5D MkII, Best Interpretation of the Theme for DonateLife week – $1500 voucher to spend at Ryda.com, The Nepean Intensive Care Unit People’s Choice Award – $1000 voucher to spend at Ryda.com,
- FilmLife are also running a free filmmaking workshop in Sydney and Melbourne to help you put your films together. Find out more here.
- Enter the FilmLife Blog Competition . The best blog submission wins $250 and the top five submissions will be published here at vibewire.org!
- Visit the DonateLife website for more information about your rights,a supporters kit, to help you spread the word about organ and tissue donation and the DonateLife Book of Life – where donor recipients, donor families, live donors and everyday people share their experiences.
- Finally, ‘have the chat’ with your loved ones to let them know about your wishes with regards to organ and tissue donation.