Why are we hacking health?
Moving from education to work, and from the parental home to independent living, has become increasingly complex for young people, and often happens over extended periods of time. These transitions come with challenges that directly and indirectly impact health. The way that young people navigate these changes can affect the rest of their life course significantly, including:
- Overweight and obesity is a major public health issue. Twenty five percent of young people 2-17 are obese
- On an average night in the June quarter 2018, 980 young people were in detention. Detention has negative downstream impacts on mental health and wellbeing.
Vibewire’s Hack4Health is a fantastic opportunity to not only create discussion around current issues within the health industry but to work with industry experts to solve some of these issues, with the potential to make a huge impact on the future of Australia’s health industry.
How can you get involved?
We are looking for a range of participants:
- Socially-aware businesses: Companies that understand the importance of a “social license to operate” can bring resources to support hackathon challenges, including expertise, data and financial support
- Governments and agencies: Deep understanding of the policy levers available can help participants create sustainable solutions
- Individuals: We believe in the power of co-design and will actively engage individuals living with a range of health challenges in the development of the hackathon
- Social, creative and tech entrepreneurs: We need to rethink the way that we tackle this challenge. This means tapping networks of those who are able to quickly imagine, create and prototype health solutions.