Why are we hacking housing?
Access to secure and affordable housing has never been more tenuous for young people who are over-represented in
homelessness figures (Mission Australia, July 2020). Uncertainty for the future (compounded by Covid) is impacting
their ability to plan ahead (AHURI, 2019), and up to 40% feel they have insufficient funds to save or invest.
The way that young people navigate these dramatically impact the way that they transition into adulthood. This can mean that young people:
- Miss out on crucial education and employment opportunities as they shift from one inadequate and temporary dwelling to another
- May face the torment of bullying, mental health concerns and ongoing family conflict without safe and secure housing.
Vibewire’s Hack4Housing is a fantastic opportunity to not only create discussion around current issues but to work with industry experts to solve some of these issues, with the potential to make a huge impact on the future of Australia’s housing industry.
How can you get involved?
We are looking for a range of participants:
- Socially-aware businesses: Companies that understand the importance of a “social license to operate” can bring resources to support hackathon challenges, including expertise, data and financial support
- Governments and agencies: Deep understanding of the policy levers available can help participants create sustainable solutions
- Individuals: We believe in the power of co-design and will actively engage individuals living with a range of health challenges in the development of the hackathon
- Social, creative and tech entrepreneurs: We need to rethink the way that we tackle this challenge. This means tapping networks of those who are able to quickly imagine, create and prototype health solutions.